tip 04 – how to create a click-zoom chart
Adding data navigation to a chart can help your audience to zoom-in on relevant details. This video will show you how to create a zoom-in chart in icCube. In a zoom-in chart, users can simply click on an item in the chart and the underlying details will be displayed.
It’s an “up-tempo” video, you might want to pause a couple of times if you want to study the steps.
Timeline and topics:
- Notice that tip 03 is active, meaning that countries have a fixed color. If you have missed that, check tip 03;
- The chart shows the Calendar Years as labels in the bar chart;
- when you click on 2012, it will zoom-in to the next level, which is semester;
- clicking on the bar for “H2 CY 2012” will zoom-in to the quarters;
- and clicking on the bar for “Dec 2012” will show the dates with data;
- First change the serial chart to show Calendar Years on the rows and the countries in the columns;
- set the Years to only show the items with data;
- set the chart to “stacked” columns;
- add a legend, so you can easily see which country is which (you do not have to memorize the colors);
- go to the “navigation” panel and add as click behavior “drill down”, effectively adding a zoom-in to the details (“children”);
- include the Filter Info renderer, zo you can see what you clicked on the bottom of the chart;
- verify that it works;
- and save and publish.
Below the interesting highlights of the tip, so you can have a closer look.
Back to dashboard tips.