tip 06 – how to restrict data access
Online interactive dashboards are meant for sharing with your users and/or clients. But sharing dashboards does not mean sharing access to all the data! This post will show you how to restrict access to the data in your dashboard using server roles. And once set-up, the data restrictions apply to not only to the current dashboard, but to all possible ways to report on the data cube (that is: all other (present and future) dashboards and all other XMLA/ REST compliant reporting services).
It’s an “up-tempo” video, you might want to pause a couple of times if you want to study the steps.
Timeline and topics:
- The starting point of this video is tip 05, but it is not really required to review this tip first;
- The video starts by showing user “arthur” has access to all the countries (check the buttons);
- log on as “lbrown” and see that she can only access Canada and United States;
- logo on as “hvandam” and see that he can only access France and Germany;
- You set-up the data access roles (restrictions) in the icCube back-end, called Admin;
- open Roles > “Region US + CA” and check the logic how it is done;
- open Users and check how “hvandam” and “lbrown” have assigned a specific region role;
- and that’s how it is done.
Back to dashboard tips.